Monday, September 12, 2011

Discussion on TV addiction.

As omkar has explained in the previous post,we had a discussion on how can we express our gratitude as we used to in the shibir on thanks giving day.
Before that we celebrated Simran's Birthday.
Then moving on to the discussion of how to reduce or put a break to the addiction of T.V,computer, mobile and so on . Each person was a willing participant during this session and was sharing his/her thought freely . Many parents and children gave their opinion and some points are as follows:

We get tired and are exhausted and for the moment want to relax our minds.At that moment we try to interact with the big screen and start afresh. But its not that easy. We forget the whole world and by the time we realize it is more than 1/2 an hour .
To this problem others suggested to put an alarm if the time is a issue. Or if nessasary to relax just sit and concentrate on your breath . Still if any temptation remains atleast watch some quality programs . Then be it some national geographic,news or tennis and cricket matches.

A issue came forword that not only the modern generation but all the age groups have a developing will of playing ,messaging or chatting on the mobiles when the fundamental use of it is calling and communicating . The adults commented that in their times they were free to roam and land in some friend's house,but now the children themselves are so involved in studies and other activities that they do not have any time for themselves and hence whenever they get freetime they start off with these addictive things .
Sania tai also added on "Whatever free time we get is only between half an hour to 45 minutes which is between two classes. In that period none of the activities get completed. Aai(swarupa mavshi) said,"You all like to share many things on the blog.Whenever you get such little time, you can very well make a draft on a paper of whatever you feel like sharing on the blog. Next time when you will get such free time'it can be utilized for typing on the blog . Even if the whole post could not be finished ,the next time you open it you could continue from the point you had stopped."
Soham Nadkarni also explained that,
"When I commence watching T.V,it is irresistable and I cannot control it . But when I put an end to it , I don't watch it for days together . But I have intentionally tried to control it and have succeeded ."
Milind Kaka (Chitnis) made a very valid point to which most of us agreed . He said,
"We as parents have observed 2 types of solutions which some of you have only discovered on your own . One ,which Soham and some others are applying and is made with extra intentional effort which is a good way indeed and the second which evolved with Omkar and it was naturally formed because of his increasing and sustaining the hobbies ." He did explain it in the previous post .
The girls also put forward their opinions.One of them said that whenever her Aaji is watching her serials and my books are in her room .So when I go to take them, some interesting scene (like fighting or someone is dying) is going on and then I too get involved in seeing it.
The parents & some children said that rather than just playing some useless games of fighting and war,it would be creative to draw or paint or play sudoku . Sure enough it would be better to play sudoku on paper than on a screen .

I also have a experience to share .
MY EXPERIENCE:I was extremely addicted to T.V and computers even a few years ago.They used to be a question of life and death . Gradually I developed a number of hobbies which helped me get a little out of it but still it was hightime I needed to change myself . So I started keeping no freetime for if I would keep myself busy I wouldn't even think of getting bored and coming in contact with any screen . I then scheduled myself, from the time I get up to the time I go to bed . So because of this time table I have reduced my T.V a lot and use computer only for studies and blogs . Side by side I am trying to still sustain most of my hobbies like origami,gardening,cooking,photography,bird and butterfly breeding/watching,reading,painting/drawing etc. Still a liittle television should be reduced and I am working towards it.


At almost the end of our discussion Saniya tai decided that she likes litreature and writing hence whatever excess time she gets in hand ,in the next month to come she will increase her writing and reduce her attention towards the screen .

So this discussion in short formed a base for the session with श्री अनिल अवचट in the following months to come .

No comments:

Post a Comment