Saturday, March 3, 2012

Not a penny more, not a penny less

On Tuesday evening, after my nap, I saw a book lying on the table. My Dad had mentioned that it was an international bestseller. The name read 'Not a penny more, not a penny less' by Jeffery Archer. When I asked my mother about it, she said that she had picked it from the library on my father's advice.She had also brought a Marathi translation for herself.We discussed about the book, not in detail, but a broad outline of the plot.
Dad had read the book in his college days and recommended it, as it was good to understand the Share Market. At first, I was slow to grasp the procedures and vocabulary related to the Share Market and Stock Exchange.After reading first 15-20 pages 2-3 times, I asked my mother about it.She had read it from her translated book and told me about the details. For the next two days, each of us read his/her own version, nudging ahead of each other in a spirit of healthy competition, discussing the next chapters en-route.
The story is about a person named Harvey Metcalfe, who was poor, but through betrayal and deceit, became very rich by investing in the Share Market. He earned millions of dollars and spent it lavishly in his annual trips to Europe. He floated a company called 'Prospecta Oil' and hired some marketing men like him and telephonically controlled them.The chief told an unexperienced youth that they had found oil in the North Sea. This youth walked into their trap. The chief told him that when they announce this find, the prices of their shares would skyrocket.The young man asked four rich people to invest in it and finally he realized that the company was a fraud. The four of them lost millions of dollars in this way.They decided to get the money back from Harvey using well-thoughtout plans, but on one pre-condition:-'not a penny more, not a penny less'.Three of them carried on their plan successfully. The story changed after this and there was an unexpected turn.It was a game of suspense and surprise and my imagination was stretched at each event.
I realized that everyone in this vast world is not as loving, truthful, and helpful as we experience in our relation at Anandmewa. When venturing into unknown, unexpected fields, one must take proper advice from a counseller, guide, well-wisher or one whom we trust.
This book is a sort of an eye opener. A must read.
P.S.:-I have deliberately not discussed the later half of the book so as to tickle your curiousity and compel you to finish off reading the book by 2am on a Saturday (the 4th day) as I did. GO AHEAD...

5 comments:

  1. Soham, You are always make such positive efforts to keep yourself busy by which you have developed many hobbies. Proud of you!
    Now We can understand why you got spectacles...Just kidding. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. please excuse me for the grammatical mistake in the first sentence of my comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we as adults are quite reluctant to try out new things.must take inspiration from you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we must also know from whom to take advice for a particular thing.we usually take advice that is CONVINIENT but may not be always right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have inspired me to read books again. thankyou
    naren

    ReplyDelete