Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Interest in Classical things

Hi,

I am sanjaykaka contributing for the first time. Excuse me for grammatical & spelling mistakes.

When I was in a school, i used to listen hindi film music like u all do it. That was in 70s & I was in 8th or 9th std. It was an era of RD Burman, LP etc. Used to listen to Binaca Geet Mala every wednesday which was countdown programme of Hindi film music. Used to think that Classical music is boring. Marathi songs are just not worth listening. My schoolfriends were also of the same opinion.

One fine day, I listen to `Call of the Vally' album by Hariprasad Chourasia on flute, Shivkumar Sharma on Santoor & Brijbhushan Kabra on Guitar. This was semi-classical in nature & duration was around 38 minutes. I was stunned. thrilled. I played this music for 3-4 times at a stretch. Few days after that, I listened to Begum Akhtar's gazals. Again story repeated.

All of a sudden I realised that something great is in store in classical music. Then I started listening to classical music. In college days, alongwith few freinds, I must not have missed single concert. Not that, I have stopped listening to Hindi Film music. But I understood that every genre of music can be enjoyed. One should have open mind & approach. Now I enjoy, all kinds of music provided it is good. I have not yet listened much of western music.

Second story is about Painting. I am very bad artist. Failed in elementary as well as in intermediate exam. Never drawn anything. Was not aware of anything about it. 10 years back, I had gone to US for some exhibition & had time to pass. I ventured to visit Museum of Modern Art, New York. It displayed paintings, sculptures, designs, Architectural designs, photos etc. Even IBM PC, Macintosh were exhibited as a piece of design excellence. As everything in US, it was huge. I visited Painting & sculpture section. Except for few names like Picasso etc. I was totally ignorant about all artists. But when I started watching these paintings, I had a same feeling which happened after listening to Call of the Vally or Begum Akthar. Unfortunately, I never pursued this as a hobby.

Third time, it happened when I saw Birju Maharaj performing kathak on stage.

Now after thinking over it, it occurred to me that in any creative form, anything of highest quality gives u great pleasure but require open mind, patience. But it does not mean that popular things are bad.

Start enjoying all kinds of creative stuff.

regards,
sanjay

ps If u felt that it was boring story, please comment.






4 comments:

  1. it was not at boring n i totally agree wid u.I promise 2 listen 2 classical music n hope like u i also develop interest in it

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI SANJAYKAKA, Its a nice article.We have been watching comedy films regularly.We loved to see n enjoyed sound of music at anandmewa. COME SEPTEMBER,HATARI,TORA TORA TORA,WATER,MY FAIR LADY,THE FIDDLER ON THE ROOF,MIRACLE ON 34 TH STREET the list is long.SANT TUKARAM,DAHAVI FHA,TEE FULARANI, RANANGAN,DASHAVTAR,RAMNAGARI,WAH GURU,ME NATHURAM GODSE BOLTOYE,SURYACHI PILLYE all have been immensely liked.A CONVERSION TO CLASSICS.NADKARNIS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow ! kaka, it is a very nice article, not at all boring.we here old hindi songs as well as calssical .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear All,
    U have missed the basic point.
    I wrote this piece just to share my experiences when anything classical creative work hits u & u start liking it. One should have open mind & patience. Start enjoying anything good.

    ReplyDelete