Saturday, February 12, 2011

Saniya meets Saina

I wiped the sweat off my forehead with the back of my sleeve, as I headed out of the door with my friends. We had had an exhausting trainng session and I desperately needed some water for my parched throat. I made straight for the water cooler and placing my racket carefully on its top, I downed an entire glass of water without speaking. Hardly had we begun to feel normal again when we realized that we should be getting back inside. I picked up my racket, and just as I was about to push open the door of the Badminton Hall, I froze. A poster was pasted on the door, saying, "Yonex-Sunrise invites you to Khar Gymkhana to meet Indian Badminton sensation Saina Nehwal. Registeration will be absolutely FREE" Saina will give you her valuable guidance and expert comments on her shots.”

I should mention, at this point, that I am a huge Saina Nehwal fan. I idolise her. I love her. I respect her. I watch every match of hers. It had only been a dream for me so far, meeting Saina Nehwal. Now here was an opportunity to interact with her! I needn’t tell you what was the first thing I said when I got home.
“Hm... Sunday morning?” said mom. I held my breath. “I don’t see why that should be a problem.”
I could only squeal in delight.
It seemed as if Sunday would never arrive, but somehow, it did.

When I woke up on Sunday morning, I could hardly believe it. But even then, I kept telling myself not to get my hopes up. I would only believe it when I actually saw her. Today, exactly a week later, I have no memory of that morning upto sitting in the car. All that I remember is that I was a bundle of nerves. Somehow I remember getting into the car. Dad was going to take me to the venue. We were both quiet on the drive.

It was 9.15 when we reached. I registered at the entrance and, with a deep breath, stepped inside the Badminton Hall there. There was a notice at the enterance saying, “Yonex-Sunrise welcomes all Badminton enthusiasts to Khar Gymkhana for Coaching Clinic by Saina Nehwal.” I still didn’t dare to believe it. I didn’t want I all to slip away ike a bad dream.
I got inside. On one side of the court, chairs were set up for parents to sit and on the other, all us kids had settled down. I was surprised to see the low turnout of people. I quickly hurried to where I could see place and sat down. I hardly knew anyone there, although I had seen most of the kids at badminton tournaments a few times that year. Then, there was a lot of waiting to do.

Almost an hour later, a lady with a mike told our restless crowd, “Children, Saina has arrived! Shall we give her a standing ovation? Please welcome, Saina Nehwal!” I could hardly believe it! As I stood up with everyone else clapping hard, I felt happines blowing up inside me like a huge balloon, as she slowly came into sight. A smiling, happy strong young lady in a ‘India’ jersey with a racket in one hand, which looked like it belonged there. She looked truly delighted to see us all turned up to meet her. She waved and smiled at us all until everyone sat down.
Then, some inportant-looking guy in a Yonex shirt started telling us all abouth the no. of awards and titles won by her. Only half-listening, I was looking hard at her. She herself looked a little uncomfortable by the praise. Her eyes kept wandering to smile and nod at all of us. However, when he was done, Saina acknowledged all the praise gracefully. Then, without much further ado, she stepped onto the court.

Unfortunately, she had injured her ankle, so she told us extremely apologetically that she couldn’t play a rally for us to see. However, she made up for it by telling us about her whole workout and training session. She demonstrated her shots and played a little for us us. She told us all about her practice. After every demo of her session, she would tell us how it was good for the game. She spoke to all of us very casually, as if she cosidered us all her friends. I felt like it was all a dream. She was extremely down-to-earth and extremely simple. She took the entire event extermely seriously, and, not at a single point, did she treat it like a publicity or a showbiz event. I was very imperessed by her personality and genuine friendliness.
After playing, we had a question-answer session. She sat down with her mother to answer all the questions. Again, I got the impression that she was truly serious about the event. She answered all the queries very seriously and repectfully. She did not even move a muscle when a small five-year old asked her something. As the people asked question after question about her diet, stamina, practice and other things, she answered them all. She spent almost two hours with us and everyone got the impression that she had thoroughly enjoyed herself. I didn’t speak once, as I was dumbstruck and I just followed her movements around the court, mesmerised. Then, finally, it was time for her to leave. After she had left, everyone returned to their cars and drove off.
I will always remember this experience, for the rest of my life. This meeting has encouraged me to practice harder and play more seriously and not complain about tough training. After all, Saina Nehwal did not become who she is today without hard work. This was a very memorable event and I waill always remember it, all my life.

1 comment:

  1. Apart from her commitment to sport & rigorous work schedule, one must admire her down to earth approach & very decent behaviour on the & off the court.
    U can see similarity between her & sacbin.

    sanjay

    ReplyDelete