Monday, February 27, 2012

Cooking for the domestic help.

Dear All,
As an expression of gratitude towards our maids and other helpers like security guards, Lata Aji had asked us to specially cook for them. Initially I was wondering as to what difference it would make since the maids normally have their lunch at our place, we also give the food for their family members. But then I realised, never ever have I cooked for them.
We decided to cook for them yesterday. After discussion, we decided to cook Chicken Masala, Pudina Rice and Kheer (in coconut milk).
With help from Saniya and Milind the food was cooked and packed in steel dabbas (because they normally carry the leftover food in plastic containers), before 11am i.e. well before the maids came. We also washed most of the utensils so there was nothing left for them to wash.
I don’t think I will ever forget the expression on the faces of both the ladies when they realised that the food was specially cooked for them and their families, without their help and more so as it was a token of gratitude.

Speaking about the maids, I would like to share one more experience.
One of our maids is very actively involved with a political party. As it is she is very irregular, you can imagine what happens when elections are on hand. I have experienced this many times and was sure same thing would be repeated during the BMC elections.
But to my utter surprise this time, though we had to adjust a lot to her changed schedules, she managed her campaigning and work so well that there was no place to complain.
Normally, this aspect would have been discussed amongst ourselves in the family. This time, the day after the elections got over, I appreciated her skillful time management and told her that she had left no place to complain. I could read the satisfaction on her face. Needless to say, that gave immense satisfaction to me too.

1 comment:

  1. Dear All,
    When Lataaji told us about the exercise about making food for our maid and for that she gave a holiday for shibir, I could guess the gravity of the thought.
    My maid has two children more or less of Arya and Aradhya’s age. So many a times we have a discussion about the different dishes I make and I also give her dishes like laddoos, Cakes, made by me. During one of such discussions I came to know that her kids like vegetable pulao, aaloo parathe, rice kheer etc…
    It was very easy for me to decide the menu, but I still confirmed the menu with her and when I said that I know what your kids like, she was very happy that I remembered what her kids like. The earlier day when I called her up to say that I will be making lunch for them and that tomorrow she should not cook lunch for her family, she was overwhelmed.
    On Sunday I made Aaloo parathe with chutney, Pulao and Bundi Raita and kheer.
    She has 5 members in her family so I packed the substantial amount of food in steel dabbas as she has old masi of hers staying with them and old people feel that the steel is the best for food. Arya and Aradhya got some chocolates also for her kids as it was Sunday- a chocolate day.
    Next day she came with a smiling face saying the food was very delicious and that she felt very happy as both her kids had a good meal.
    I would like to share very touching experience about the same. When she retured the dabbas she got quarter kg of Nankhatai biscuits for my kids.
    From this experience we have decided that we should repeat such episodes on her kids birthdays every year alongwith small surprise gifts.


    Archana Naik

    ReplyDelete