Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Our little squirrel


Every year in the month of April we plan to visit my native place Gokarna in Karnataka. This year’s visit was special, as there were five puppies waiting for me. Our doggy has given birth to five puppies in the month of March. Also there was another surprise for us. My mama had found a small baby squirrel in the back yard. She was very young and needed care and protection.



          When I reached Gokarna I was very excited to see beautiful puppies. I had a very good company. I spent my day by playing with them, feeding them, and taking care of them. They were about 1.5 months old and one by one went to their new homes along with their new masters. But the small squirrel was with us. I use to feed every morning milk and cream. This was her favorite food. Apart from this she would eat any food. Her teeth were not strong enough to crack the nuts.

          One day when my mama was cleaning her cage, she escaped from the cage. Both of us tried a lot to catch her, but she went up above the coconut tree. Even she had a fight with other squirrels atop the coconut trees. Suddenly she jumped and crossed to neighbor’s compound. I was very sad; there were tears in my eyes. My mama assured me that though the squirrel is small but she is healthy and can stay in the open on her own. I sat in the back yard for a long time hoping she may return to our home. Finally I left the place and came back home.

          Next day in the morning I saw someone peeping from the rooftop. Oh! It was our own tiny squirrel. I immediately called my ajji. We kept her favorite food near the door. She did not come down. Mama kept the same on the rooftop. She finished the milk in no given time. I was very happy to see our little one vary safe. This continued for couple of days. I use to keep milk and cream for her on the rooftop. One day the squirrel quietly entered the kitchen from the window. All of us were surprised to see her in the house. We served some food, which she ate. Also my mama kept the cage with the door open near the window. After few moments the squirrel jumped in to the cage on her own.  This was the most exciting moment. No body could believe this that the squirrel has returned to her cage after three days. My ajji suggested that we would keep the squirrel in the cage for some more days, as she will be protected from cats, dogs, crows etc. Before the rains starts she will be released in our back yard.

-by Shubham & Krutika

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Loved the way Shubham & Kritika have narrated the incident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good hear about loved ones...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely squirrel. We also have 3 squirrels staying on a Jamb tree in front of our house. Its a pleasure to watch them play around on daily basis. I always sit in my bedroom window for 5 minutes in the morning while having my green tea and it really refreshes me for the day.
    Bhagyashree

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is not just us humans, but even the animals crave for love & care. The squirrel returned as she too missed you both. She returned to the cage as she felt it was safer then the harsh reality of survival outside the protected environment.Your love for the plants and animals has always remained unconditional. Very Good.
    Kiran & Swati

    ReplyDelete