Tuesday, July 10, 2012


Few years back our locality had no organized vendors for fruits and vegetables. We use to buy vegetables from the hawker near our house. There use to be a huge rush in the evening. Everybody use to bargain a lot. Also there use to be petty fights. The hawker was very polite, sincere and sober in nature. Everybody use to exploit him.  We were among the very few buyers who will never bargain for price as well as for the quantity.  Many a times I use to order the required quantity of vegetables and go for a walk. After returning I use to give him the money what he has asked for and takes away the vegetables. If the quality of vegetables is not good he will request me for not to buy the same.

            Recently new exclusive shops as well as super markets have come for vegetables and fruits. Vegetables are neatly packed but with a premium price. We started buying from these shops.

            Suddenly last week I met the old vegetable vendor. He greeted me with a big smile. It seems that he was very happy to see me.  He enquired about Shantala, kids and my well being. We had a good talk, but he tactfully avoided me asking why I have stopped coming to him. I observed that the earlier rush was not there. I really felt very sorry about discontinuing buying from him. I assured him that I would come to him for buying vegetable regularly.

            It was a very rare to see such a good qualities with a poor street vendor. In spite of knowing the reason why we have stopped coming to him, he wanted to have a cordial relationship with us. 


-       By KIRAN SWADI

1 comment:

  1. what a sensitive sharing Kiran .. tears in my eyes ... Sandeep

    ReplyDelete